- Download the Policy Minder for IBM i installer (SPMSetup.exe) from the Policy Minder for i Download Page. Alternatively, go to the HelpSystems website and click My Account. (The "Trial" download is the full product, which can be unlocked with a valid License Key).
Note: If pop-ups are blocked, the download will not occur. To remedy, allow pop-ups from the Skyview website.
- Launch 'SPMSetup.exe'.
- Click Next.
Note: If you use the Windows Firewall, you may see a security warning when attempting to launch the SPMSetup.exe executable. If so, click Run, then click Next on the Welcome Screen.
This utility uses FTP to upload the product from your PC to the IBM i.
Before you begin:
- Make sure that the FTP server is started.
- Make sure that the QALWOBJRST system value has *ALWPGMADP specified to allow the programs adopting the SKYVIEWOWN profile to be restored.
On this screen:
- Enter the Host Name or the TCP/IP address of the system the product is being uploaded to. In this case, the system’s name is SKYVIEW.
- Enter the User Profile the FTP job will run under on the IBM i system. This profile must have *ALLOBJ and *SECADM special authorities.
- Enter the user’s password.
- Click Next.
- As part of the install process, you can copy the Policy Minder manual to your PC. These instructions provide details on getting started with the product, both with the command line and browser-based interfaces as well as detailed instructions on using the product.
- Check 'Copy Skyview Policy Minder .pdf to your PC' if you wish to copy the Policy Minder manual to your computer.
- Specify a Path to store the manual. To search for the path, click on the box at the end of the Path name box. Note: The path cannot be /temp.
- Click Next.
- As part of the install process, you can copy the PMReadMe.txt file that provides detailed installation and upgrade instructions. It also provides debugging tips should you have problems with the installation.
- Check 'Copy PM_ReadMe.txt to your PC' if you wish to copy the PMReadMe.txt file.
- Specify a path to store the file. To search for the path, click on the box at the end of the Path name box. Note: The path cannot be /temp.
- Click Next.
- This is a confirmation screen of the parameters specified earlier. Click Start. The upload begins.
- If you are using a personal firewall, you may get a notice that the install program is trying to access the Internet. This message is misleading because the install program is only trying to access your IBM i system, not the Internet. However, you must take the option to allow this program or else the install will not complete successfully.
- When installation is finished, read the instructions on this screen to complete the installation on your system. Click Finish to close the setup program.
- The install command is in a different library than it was in previous releases.
- If you want to see the log or if there has been an error on the upload, click View Log.
- Otherwise, click Finish – this closes this window.
This part of the installation has uploaded the SETUPTMP.SAVF to the system. If you have other systems where you are installing Policy Minder but don’t have access to them via FTP, you can copy this .savf to other systems and complete the installation by restoring the SETUPTMP library from the SETUPTMP.SAVF and running the SETUPTMP/INSTALL command (shown later in this document.)
Here’s an example of the log. If there’s an error in this process, it’s critical to get a screen shot of this log – in particular the end of the log showing the last few messages, so the issue can be debugged.
- You must now go to the IBM i to complete the installation.
On a command line, type SETUPTMP/INSTALL
- At the end of the installation, you will be prompted to enter an Authority code that you should “copy and paste” from the email sent you.
- If you are in a trial period, you may not be provided with a Secondary code.
- If you have purchased the product, you should have been provided both a Primary and Secondary code. You will need to enter both of these.
The easiest way to ensure the codes are entered correctly is to “copy and paste” them from the email sent to you. Authority codes may include zero’s and the letter O (and it may be difficult to distinguish between the two depending on the font you use on your PC), as well as punctuation marks including periods. Please do not attempt to write down the code and then enter it by hand.
- You will also be prompted to enter your Company name. This is the name that appears as the title on the reports. Note: It may be helpful to add the system name in this field. For example, Skyview Partners, Inc (SYSTEMA)
- You will now be prompted to configure the web server instance that will be used by the GUI (browser-based) interface. This interface uses the HTTP server that is shipped with the system. It does not rely on WebSphere or any other product other than what comes with the IBM i operating system.
- Description: Displayed on the “Manage Servers” display.
- Name or IP address of this system: This is the method that will be used to access the reports section in the Policy Minder GUI. If you are in a network with a DNS server, you can typically use the system name. If not, you’ll want to use the IP address.
- Web server port: This is the port you will specify when you want to access the Policy Minder GUI. We have chosen a port that is not typically in use but if is already used in your organization or you wish to specify a different port, go ahead and do that now. If you don’t know, we suggest you take the default.
- Automatically start with HTTP server: Taking the default (Yes) means that whenever the HTTP server starts (such as when the STRTCP command is run), the SKYVIEWWEB web server instance will also start. This instance must be started to be able to access the GUI interface.
- Start web server after install completes: If you specify Yes and the http server is already running, the SKYVIEWWEB instance will also be started. If you specify Yes and the http server is not already started, both it and the SKYVIEWWEB instance will be started.
- Use SSL: Specifies that you want the SKYVIEWWEB instance of the web server to run over an SSL (encrypted) connection.
- HTTPS Port: The port the SSL connection will use.
- When you are done, press Enter.
- The product is now completely installed. If you are going to use the savf to install the product on other systems, you can do that now. Otherwise, if you are done installing Policy Minder or will install it on other systems using the SPMSetup.exe, you can delete the SETUPTMP library and SETUPTMP.SAVF.
To access Policy Minder using the command line interface, at an IBM i command line, type GO SKYPM. This is the Main Menu that will be displayed.
To access Policy Minder using the browser-based interface, make sure that the instance of the webserver is started. From an IBM i command line, enter the following command:
STRTCPSVR SERVER(*HTTP) HTTPSVR(SKYVIEWWEB)
Launch one of the supported browsers:
- Microsoft IE7 (preferred)
- Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1 for Windows or later
and type the TCP/IP address or the name of the system along with the port number you specified the web server instance to listen on in your browser's address bar. We used the default port (8050) as shown below:
This will take you to the logon for Policy Minder:
How To Guide
Installing Policy Minder - IBM i
February 1, 2017