Before You Install
Please review the following information before installing Data Thread.
Note: When installing Interact in an HA environment:
- Stop the replication of user profiles from production to HA system by either ending the replication software or ending the replication of the user profiles.
- Install Data Thread on the HA and production systems.
- Setup Data Thread replication per the HA Setup instructions (see Data Thread Setup in an HA Environment)
- Start replication (including the user profiles).
Data Thread requires that you enter a valid license key. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to request a new license key.
It is Powertech’s goal not to change system values on customer systems because we recognize that security-conscious organizations have rigorous change control processes in place for even small changes to system values. Therefore, we ask you to make any system value changes that are needed. However, the Data Thread installation process could change a system value to allow the install to proceed if a system value is not set as specified below. If the Installation Wizard changes a system value during install, it changes it back to its original value when the install completes. To install Powertech Data Thread on your system, the following system values that control object restores must be configured as shown.
- Set QALWOBJRST to *ALWPGMADP (at a minimum) to allow the system to restore programs that adopt authority. Many Powertech Data Thread programs adopt the authority of the product owner, rather than forcing you to give authority directly to administrators and end users. (Note: For some system configurations, *ALL is required temporarily.)
- QALWUSRDMN controls which libraries on the system can contain certain types of user domain objects. You should set the system value to *ALL, or include QTEMP and the name of the Data Thread product library DATATHREAD for the product to function properly.
- QVFYOBJRST can be 1, 2, or 3. This allows Data Thread to restore all objects regardless of their signature.
- Set QFRCCVNRST (Force conversion on restore) to 0, Do not convert anything.
Data Thread requires that IBM i (i5/OS, OS/400) version V7R1 or higher be installed on your system.
Note: During installation an FTP connection is initiated. The FTP server responds with messages that prompt for FTP login credentials. The standard port reserved to establish an FTP connection to the IBM i is port 21. Consequently, it is required that this port is open and ‘listening’ on the server in order to establish a connection with the Installation Wizard and facilitate a successful installation.
The Data Thread installation process is completely automated.
Ensure the following servers are available and running prior to installation:
- FTP Server
- Remote Command Server
Do the following to install Data Thread on your system:
- Download the Data Thread Installer (setupDataThread.exe) to your PC. To do so, go to the HelpSystems website and click My Account. (The "Trial" download is the full product, which can be unlocked with a valid License Key).
- Double-click the .exe file to start the Installation Wizard. When prompted, enter the name of the system on which you want to install Data Thread, a user profile, and password.
Note: Make sure the user profile is a member of the user class *SECOFR and has at least the following special authorities: *ALLOBJ, *SECADM, *JOBCTL, *IOSYSCFG, and *AUDIT. The user profile should have Limit capabilities set to *NO.
- The Wizard installs Data Thread on your system. When the install completes, you can select to view the install log.
- When you are finished installing, click Finish to remove the Wizard from your PC. The installation process displays the job log name, user, and job log number. Use the WRKSPLF command to display the job log for complete information on the Data Thread install.
Data Thread installs the following product libraries, user profiles, and command on your system. It also creates the DATATHREAD subsystem if it doesn’t already exist.
|Installed on System||Description|
DATATHREAD, which has a user class of *USER
The profile is set to Password = *NONE so it can’t be used to sign on to the system.
Starting Data Thread
To start Data Thread, enter the following command:
(this command is in the QGPL Library)
The first time you enter the STRDT command to start Data Thread, a series of prompt screens displays asking you to enter the following information:
- The name of the system on which Data Thread is installed
- The IP address of the e-mail server to which Data Thread should send notifications
- The “Reply to” e-mail address
- The Data Thread license code you received from Powertech
The Data Thread User Guide
The Data Thread User Guide is an online file that you can view using any browser.
The User Guide is installed as part of the product installation in the following directory: C:\Program Files\PowerTech\DataThread. The installation process places a shortcut to the Guide in your Start Menu. Click the shortcut to open the Guide in your browser.
You also can download the User Guide from the Powertech website. To display the Data Thread User Guide, unzip the downloaded file and double-click the Start_DataThread.htm file to open the Guide in your browser.