Why You Should Use File Encryption Software
File Encryption Software is “Key”
What is the key to keeping your data safe? One word: Encryption. There’s no question that encrypting sensitive data at rest and in motion is essential when it comes to guarding against cyber threats and complying with local, national, or industry-standard requirements.
However, if you’re still on the fence about file encryption software and whether you need it or not, take this time now to discover the basics of file encryption and why you should be using it.
What is File Encryption?
File encryption is a method of encoding data in order to transfer files securely. Encrypting files helps to prevent tampering or unauthorized access while files are in transit and at rest.
How Does File Encryption Work?
File encryption works by using complex algorithms to jumble the data being sent. The encrypted content is then decrypted using a key provided by the sender of the message.
Only parties authorized to receive the decryption key will have access to the data, so the encrypted information remains confidential.
With Open PGP encryption, the recipient shares their public key with the sender and the sender uses that key to encrypt. The recipient then uses their private key to decrypt.
The effectiveness of encryption technology is determined by the strength of the algorithm, the length of the key, and the appropriateness of the encryption system selected.
Related Reading: How Encryption Works: Everything You Need to Know
How Are Files Encrypted?
Files are encrypted by a mix of encryption standards. Most are frequently reserved for specific industries, while others are compatible with specific databases.
Two of the most popular encryption standards are:
- Open PGP - This industry standards allow you to encrypt and decrypt files using public and private keys to safeguard the privacy and integrity of your data.
- ZIP with AES - Compress and encrypt files with AES encryption using ZIP and GZIP standards.
Related Reading: GoAnywhere MFT Encryption Technologies
What is File Encryption Software?
File encryption software is software that uses cryptology in order to prevent unauthorized access to sensitive data. The software helps to streamline the movement of data, keeps the content of your files secure, and eliminates the need for using alternative vulnerable methods.
File encryption software allows you to keep important information away from prying eyes by encrypting files and then decrypting with the proper key.
Why Should You Use File Encryption Software?
Without using file encryption software, your files are much more at risk, complying with regulations will be ultimately be more difficult, and security across the board can be compromised.
Encryption is hands down the best method to keep data secure and is chock full of benefits, including:
- Layered data protection – Your data is only as safe as the file encryption software you choose to implement. Using the right one can provide both you, your organization, and trading partners with peace of mind.
- Security across multiple devices – File encryption software ensures that data, across any device, is completed encrypted with the same protections in place whether the data is stored on a desktop or mobile device.
- Data moved securely – An effective file encryption software solution helps to ensure that data is protected wherever it is in its journey – at rest or in motion.
- Integrity maintained – Although data theft is a common problem, another way that hackers can commit data fraud is to knowingly alter the available data. File encryption software keeps your data safe from alterations, and recipients of the data can also see if data has been tampered with.
- Ensured compliance – Compliance is extremely important as many IT departments in a variety of industries must comply with legal and industry restrictions on how data is handled and transferred. File encryption software is essential and provides one of the safest ways for organizations to transmit and store data while help you to comply with the regulations your organization needs to meet.
Related Reading: Meeting Compliance Requirements with GoAnywhere
How to Choose File Encryption Software
The best file encryption software for you depends on your trading partners’ specific requirements. Before choosing a file encryption software to implement, it’s a good idea to consider the following questions:
- What encryption standards does your trading partner support?
- How sensitive is the data being exchanged?
- Are large files being exchanged (which should be compressed)?
- Should the files be encrypted (before transmission) or should the connection be encrypted?
- How will the data be transported (for example – FTP, HTTP, and email)?
File Encryption Software is a Jack of All Trades
No matter what you and your trading partners need when it comes to encryption, securing your file transfers is easier with GoAnywhere MFT.
GoAnywhere, a managed file transfer (MFT) solution, provides several different features with a variety of encryption standards for protecting the privacy and integrity of your organization’s data. With GoAnywhere, sensitive encrypted files are protected both while in transit and at rest.